Thursday, March 31, 2016

THE BIG 60

Got up this morning feeling reflective, what do I want to do this year, something to mark the mile stone of turning sixty. Went for a walk out to the bluff. It was windy but there was warmth coming off the sun and only little tiny piles of snow left in the shady spots. I decided to try and meditate,(one of the new things I would like to learn this year) so I found a dry clump of old straw grass and sat down. Closing my eyes I was aware of the sound of the ocean waves, the cool breeze on my face and my cold hands. Trying to quite my mind I chanted to myself " calm and happy, calm and happy." I will have to come up with something better than that. I kept pushing aside thoughts as they came in. I think I lasted about 3 or 4 minutes, not very good but it's a start. Headed home and Robert had made me ham and eggs for breakfast with a steaming cup of hot coffee. Sitting at the bead table  I snapped a picture of the order I'm working on. Robert said "Let's get one of you and Crazy before I take the snow tires off."  So the day I turned sixty has been documented for posterity. I think maybe my chant this morning was right on the mark. Calm and happy...

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Kate! And many, many more :) Thanks for being a huge influence in the bead embroidery world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your day was calm and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your day was calm and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. Funny how we think of certain birthdays as milestones. 13, probably. 16, muyah. 21 Certainly. 40, definitely still climbing the hill. But that is it!! 50 and 60 were just another day. This year I will see 65. Wonder what I will think the day after?!!

    Lovely project that you are working on. Nice pic of you and the cat that doesn't want to look at the camera!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, happy birthday!!!! My milestone is 70 next January!! But it's just a number isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had trouble with normal meditation too, had slightly better luck with "walking meditation". Especially if you have some not too crowded natural environment to walk in. It can enhance what you pick up visually once you get in the groove too.

    ReplyDelete